I have created a list of best outdoor rocking chairs in 2019. In this guide, we are going to review 10 different models for you to consider as well as features that you will want to consider before you decide which one is right for you.
Nothing is more relaxing than sitting on your back porch on a hot summer day sipping on some lemonade, especially if you are enjoying the day in a rocking chair. Such chairs have been around for centuries, and the modern models that we have come to love are not all that different from the variations that our ancestors enjoyed. However, choosing the best outdoor rocking chair is never easy, and there are plenty of considerations to make before purchase one.
|Goplus Folding Recliner (Editor's Choice)||Foldable, Comfortable, Very durable||Steel, Fabric||33x25x45||16.5||250||Check Price|
|GCI Freestyle Rocker (runner-up)||Foldable, Comfortable, Cup holder||Steel, Fabric||24x25x34.8||12.1||250||Check Price|
|Semco White||XL seat||Plastic||33x29.8x42||26||600||Check Price|
|Jack-Post KN-10N Classic||Child's||Oak||14.75 x 18.25 x 22.5||7||80||Check Price|
|Amish Heavy Duty Rocking Chair||Looks fantastic, very sturdy||Pine||29.5x36x41||42||600||Check Price|
|Sienna Swivel Rocker||Good material, Durable||Steel, Sling fabric||34.3 x 22.8 x 22.8||41||250||Check Price|
|Outroad Wicker Chair||Soft cushion, Very comfortable||Steel, Wicker||29x26x30||26||250||Check Price|
|Best Choice Products Metal Rocking Chair||Elegant Look||Iron||28.5x23.5x34||24.9||250||Check Price|
|Wood Log Chair||Ergonomic, Durable||Hardwood||40x27x39||24.5||250||Check Price|
|Highwood Lehigh||8 colors, Very durable||Eco-friendly recycled plastic||27x44x32||33||500||Check Price|
1. Goplus Folding Recliner – Best Quality Outdoor Folding Rocking Chair
This is a durable rocking chair that is designed with weather resistant fabric and metal that has been covered with a powder coating that will help protect it from the rain. It is also designed to fold up, which makes it more convenient to store when you are not using it.
There is no lock on the chair when it is open, so if you get up too quickly, it can fold up a bit as you stand. This can be very inconvenient, especially for someone who may have mobility issues.
This is a very portable option that you can consider, especially if you enjoy camping or fishing. The chair has a very ergonomic design that is comfortable, and it is built to last.
It is one that has a unique design.
It looks like a camping chair that has the ability to rock. This is because of the spring-action rocking technology that is positioned on the legs of the chair.
The back of the chair is straight up and down, so it is not as comfortable as it could be. If you don’t mind sitting up straight, this will not be a concern for you.
This is a great chair to use when you are looking for something that is portable. This is an ideal option for someone who likes to take their chair camping or out in the yard to enjoy a night under the stars.
3. Semco - Best White Front Porch Rocking Chair
This outdoor rocking chair is built for comfort, so it has an extra large seat that gives you plenty of space.
This ensures that you will be comfortable in the chair, regardless of your body type.
This chair comes in four pieces that are quite difficult to assemble.
Once it is assembled, the seat is quite low, so it can be difficult for some to get in and out of the chair.
If you are looking for a rocking chair that you can leave outside all year and easily wipe clean when it gets dirty, then this is the chair for you. It is an excellent option for anyone who does not have a covered patio.
This is a very sturdy chair that is designed for a youngster to enjoy. It is designed to hold up to 80 pounds, which means that it can be a great addition to your front porch if you have pre-school aged children in your home.
The panels on the back of the chair are pretty far apart, which can make it difficult for a smaller child to enjoy rocking. To make it more manageable for a youngster, you may want to add a pillow to the back of the chair.
This is a great option for a child, but it will only work for toddler aged children, and they will outgrow the chair as they mature.
5. Amish Heavy Duty Chair – Best Patio Wooden Rocking Chair
If you are looking for a chair that is crafted from soft wood such as pine, then this is a great option for you to consider.
The wood has been kiln dried and pressure treated to help improve its durability so that it lasts longer.
The wood is not as smooth as it could be, which can cause splinters. A simple sand job will fix this issue, especially if you have an unfinished chair.
This is a very durable chair that is available in a few different colors, but the wood that it is made from is soft, and the finished product is not adequately sanded. If you don’t mind putting some work into this chair, this could be an excellent option for your needs.
This is a chair that is designed to rock or swivel, so you have free movement while relaxing on your patio. In addition, it is capable of holding up to 250 pounds.
The back of the chair is not as high as it needs to be to offer proper back support for a tall individual. It works well for someone who is short, but it is not comfortable for anyone over average height.
This is a great chair to consider if you are looking for a place to entertain friends at an outdoor table, but it is not the best option for rocking because of the height of the chair.
It is designed with a steel frame that has been coated to help protect it from the weather. This means that it can be out in the rain or snow without the chair rusting. It is also protected from the sun’s UV rays.
This chair is a bit on the low side, so it may not be comfortable for individuals who have longer legs.
If you are looking for an model with a soft cushion, then this is an option worth considering. It is available in a few bright colors, and it has a durable frame that will not be ruined in the rain.
This model from Best Choice Products is crafted from wrought iron, which means that it has the durability to last for years.
It is lightweight and easy to move, and with a cushion added to the seat, it can be quite comfortable.
The back of the chair is straight up and down, so it tends to push you forward a bit when you rock. In addition, the back is not very high, so it does not offer a lot of back support for taller individuals.
If you are looking for a decorative chair that you only sit on occasionally, then this is an ideal chair for your front porch. It may not be comfortable for taller individuals, but it is ideal for a smaller statured person.
This rocking chair is designed with a natural finish that looks great. In fact, the rustic look makes it seem like the chair was just built.
It is also constructed from hardwood, so it has the durability it needs to last for years.
The seat on this rocking chair is not as wide as it could be, which can make it quite uncomfortable for larger individuals.
This is a good option for anyone who is searching for a natural looking chair for their patio. Though it is made of hardwood, it is going to be best in an area that is covered to help protect the wood from the rain.
10. Highwood Lehigh
This rocking chair, which is made from recycled materials, is durable, fade resistant, and easy to maintain.
In fact, all you need is some hot soapy water and a brush to keep it clean.
The rocker on the chair is positioned near the front of the chair, which means that it can feel like it is pushing you forwards as you rock. This may not bother some individuals, but it can make it uncomfortable for others.
This is a very durable model that is designed to last outside for an extended period of time without rusting or wearing. It is easy to clean, and it can accommodate larger individuals with ease.
Related: The Best Chair Mat For Hardwood Floor.
Best Outdoor Rocking Chairs - Buyer’s Guide
When you are looking into purchasing a new outdoor chair, one of the most important things to consider is the material of the chair.
There are several different materials that you can consider, and some are going to be better depending on the area that you live. For example, if you live in a rainy area, having an outdoor chair that is not water resistant is not going to be beneficial. Some of the materials that you can consider include:
- Hardwood – One of the most popular hardwoods for a rocking chair is oak, but other hardwoods are still an option. This is going to be one of the more durable options that you can consider because this type of wood is difficult to damage. This means that scratches and chips in the woods are unlikely, but it will require a varnish to maintain its nice looking exterior. When they are maintained, these chairs will be able to resist the rain and stand up against the wind effectively.
- Softwood – This is a type of wood that is not going to take a lot of abuse in the outdoors, so it must be varnished and maintained if you choose to have a rocking chair made out of pine or another softwood. This wood can scratch easily, but it is also one of the cheaper options that are available.
- Teakwood – This is a great material choice for an outdoor rocking chair because it is a durable option that is water, wind, and rust-resistant, so you never need to worry about the wood being damaged. The downside is that this material is only available in one color option, and it needs to be cleaned and treated frequently to maintain its look.
- Wicker – This is not one of the most durable options for an outdoor chair because it is a lightweight material that is difficult to maintain. If you want to have a wicker chair, you may want to choose a darker color so that you can maintain its appearance.
- High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) – This is a type of synthetic material that is quite durable; it is strong, sturdy, and resistant to inclement weather. It is also straightforward to clean, so chairs made out of this material can stay outside all year.
What are other important features to consider?
- Size – Another important consideration to make is the size of the chair that you are going to purchase. You are going to want to have a seat that is comfortable based on the size of your body because if the seat is too long for your legs, dangling legs could be uncomfortable.
In addition, you do not want a chair that is too narrow or one that has a low back. You want your rocking chair to be comfortable, so the taller you are, the more height you will want the back of the chair to have.
- Style – There are quite a few different styles of rocking chairs that you can choose from, so consider which option will look best with the furniture that you already have in your outdoor space and the rest of the decor as well. Wooden chairs are going to give you a more classic look, but they can also choose a less traditional style.
- Color – If you want a wooden look, then you will need to choose the shade of the wood that you want as well as the stain that is on the chair’s surface. If you prefer a synthetic material like HDPE, you will be able to choose from a rainbow of colors that range from earth tones to bright, vibrant gem colors.
- Cushioning – Not all rocking chairs have a cushion that comes with the chair. Typically, a rocking chair is a comfortable seating option, but if you plan to use it for hours at a time, any hard surface will become uncomfortable. To add comfort, you can either purchase a chair that already has cushioning or purchase a separate seat cushion that goes with the furniture.
- Durability – Since you are going to be using this chair outside, you will want to make sure that it is a durable option that is not going to scratch when a twig scraps across the surface. You are also going to need to ensure that it has a bit of weight to it if you plan to keep the chair outside so that it does not blow away in a strong gust of wind.
Having some protection against the rain could also be a good idea for an outdoor furniture, especially if you want it to last for more than a few years.
Outdoor rocking chairs are a simple enjoyment that will make you want to spend more time on your porch. You can enjoy nature and the company of your friends while sipping a nice cold drink. Hopefully, our guide has helped you find a chair that fits your needs.